Understanding overall effectiveness is a core concern for enterprise-architectures, and for all of its subsidiary domain-architectures within the enterprise. The key idea here is that there are five distinct dimensions to effectiveness:
- efficient: makes the best use of available resources
- reliable: can be relied upon to deliver the required service
- elegant: supports simplicity, clarity and other human factors
- appropriate: is ‘on purpose’
- integrated: links everything together across the whole context
Businesses tend to focus obsessively on efficiency, almost to the exclusion of everything else; but we won’t achieve effectiveness overall unless we rotate our attention continuously across all of those dimensions, in a consistent and balanced way.
Here it is, anyway: another one to Share and Enjoy?