A week in Tweets: 27 June – 3 July 2010
Oops… starting to slide back again. (My excuse was that I wanted all the Enterprise Canvas articles to appear together in the weblog, without the sequence being interrupted by any other articles.) Anyway, catching up, another week’s worth of Tweets and linked, sorted into the usual categories. Over to you: Share and Enjoy?
Enterprise architecture, business-architecture, strategy and ‘big-picture’ business matters in general:
- SAlhir: RT @jorgebarba Starbucks and the Power of Story #marketing http://icio.us/mxz0o0
- CreatvEmergence: Wisdom from Bucky Fuller (new blog post inspired by a play) http://bit.ly/dtjJWd <useful insights on organic complexity
- SAlhir: Agility: Not merely how fast you can do the same thing again & again, but how readily you can do something radically different.
- CreatvEmergence: RT @ariegoldshlager: The Laws of Simplicity: http://bit.ly/rjq1p <Yes! Big diff. bet. randomly simple & coherently patterned simplicity
- CreatvEmergence: Old dichotomized splits (i.e., passion OR work) are emerging into new Yes-And wholes (passion AS work) #e20 #entarch #bizarch
- unorder: There are still people who think a strategy is a document. Strategizing, engaging & communicating it with clarity is strategy.
- jdevoo: RT @davegray: Empathy Map Poster http://post.ly/l7KC >> useful for defining personas in product roadmaps <as shown in #BMGen book #bizarch #entarch
- greblhad: Section One – Strategy: http://wp.me/p7ejN-7R <unusual adaptation of Sun Tzu ‘Art of War’ for #entarch #bizarch etc
- greblhad: The Art of Enterprise Architecture – Section Two – Doing Architecture: http://wp.me/p7ejN-7Z <more ‘Sun Tzu for #entarch ‘ 🙂
- greblhad: The Art of Enterprise Architecture – Section Three – Planning The Architecture: http://wp.me/p7ejN-82 <Sun Tzu for #entarch ! – a great series of ‘translations’ by Jurgen Dalhberg
- oscarberg: A reluctant adopter: someone who’s negative to or cynical about a new thing (iPad etc) but buys it anyway – Wired June 2010 <sounds like me and iPad… 🙂
- chrisdpotts: @kdierc Strategic storytelling = foundations of scenario planning = foundations of investment planning (not mutually exclusive) // “Strategic planning” can be many things. Best to ask ‘show me your strategic plans’ and see what is offered.
- thoughttrans: RT @estherderby “know how” without “know when” can make a real mess of things. <yup…also need to know ‘why’ // #BizArch #entarch needs to start with WHY … not how or what
- ironick: #designthinking meets #theoryU & #presencing. cool. now we just need to add #resilience/#panarchy for the trifecta! http://bit.ly/aoJcP2
- greblhad: Interesting PDF by Seth Loyd on Measures of Complexity http://bit.ly/d6NzoF <brief summary  on metrics, useful in #entarch etc
- hebsgaard:Gartner: Sustainability Is Great: Could I Have the Light Version, Please? #gov20 http://tinyurl.com/3x3pwdw <definitely underwhelmed by this piece, should really have been titled “In Praise of Short-Term Thinking As A Substitute For Strategy”… a nice reminder of why not to use Gartner…
- SAlhir: Tribal Leadership: Tribes and Tribal Leaders: http://wp.me/pohx0-cR <detailed research on ‘tribes’ in orgs #entarch #bizarch
- SAlhir: RT @joegerstandt: “It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.” -W. Edwards Deming
- aojensen: Pondering a new model of architecture and postmodern complexity: Deleuze’s rhizome as the substitute for architectural layers and control.
- CreatvEmergence: Yes! Diff. bet. random improvisation & discipline of “Improv” – Neil Mullarkey on Applied Improv – formal disciplines of application in business etc – http://youtu.be/RWUOyeI5AQc
- kvistgaard: We are so used to representing time the way we do spatial dimensions that sometimes such models rule our minds instead of just helping out.
- hebsgaard: RT @plumaslaker: RT @citizen_bob: Gartner Launches Open Government Maturity Model http://bit.ly/cqZ3YM #gov20 <relevant for not-for-profit variants of #entarch – but tantalisingly blurry and incomplete, as is usual for Gartner…
- kvistgaard: Doner kebab places can teach a thing or 2 Western fast food chains about optimised processes. This coming from a culture not as anxious about time
- greblhad: When logical analysis becomes problematic intuitive jumps can help you reach the design your intellect is looking for. <agree: analysis can only go backwards – hence intuitive jump, analytic backfill
- CreatvEmergence: Whole Systems Healing – http://www.csh.umn.edu/wsh (via @cyber_shaman) <okay, now apply this to #entarch #bizarch etc..
- unorder: MITSloan Review: Decision based evidence making http://bit.ly/cn2PyR <v.important must-read for #entarch #bizarch etc
- jdevoo: RT @SmallRivers: and now paper.li on ReadWriteWeb http://bit.ly/aPfydA “It seems to be a remarkably able expression of the concerns and interests of a user” <interesting business/technology, though not sure about the business-model as such
- Eclectopedic: RT @sebpaquet: Awesome talk by @junecohen on TED’s Transition from Conference to Platform – http://bit.ly/aOn2m3 (in four words: Quality open content pays) <note also the importance of shifting from product (‘we do conferences’) to vision (‘ideas worth spreading’)
- bartleeten: RT @cbcurran Enterprise Architecture Strategies From Large Companies — CIO Dashboard http://bit.ly/9Z0xHY <the usual IT-oriented ‘enterprise’-architecture, but useful nonetheless, and not IT-centric as such
- taotwit: RT @j4ngis: “Don’t play with the system unless you understand it.” <— But without play & explore it is hard to understand the system….
- DavidGurteen: Steve Denning: What HBR hasn’t noticed: four reasons why management needs radical change http://bit.ly/95Lp6f #km #entarch
- CreatvEmergence: The void isn’t empty – it’s filled with creative potential calling to be shaped, formed and cultivated into the world <the non-empty ‘Chaotic’ domain, in Cynefin terms
- tebbo: RT @jchernov: RT @dmscott: New! Download my free Marketing Strategy Planning Template http://bit.ly/dCkx7y <Downloaded AND pinned it to my wall! <simple and useful for basic #bizarch etc
- CreatvEmergence: RT @VenessaMiemis – How Can Futures Thinking Amplify Design Thinking? http://bit.ly/cD3neU < #designthinking #futures
- JohnPolgreen: RT @ gotze What kind of ppl would be good coaches/mentors to aspiring enterprise architects? #entarch << holistic thinkers w biz experience
- getstoried: a fresh perspective on the gift economy RT @ThisIsSethsBlog: Gifts, misunderstood http://bit.ly/dALh2J <Godin at his best… a must-read for #entarch #bizarch etc
- kdierc: RT @alecsharp “How Does Google Work?” diagram with lots of circles and arrows and snippets – brilliant. http://bit.ly/bXJVn8 <very nice infographic
- CreatvEmergence: Nice slideshow by frog design! Better Ideas Faster – http://bit.ly/aZH8iI via @ariegoldshlager <from strategy to execution: very nice, very useful – recommend #entarch etc
- SAlhir: RT @umairh It’s when an org is loved for who it is -not merely what it makes- that it’s begun learning to make the competition irrelevant. <is key in #bizarch etc
- chrisdpotts: An categorised inventory of components is valuable, but is it architecture? #entarch <short answer: “nope” 🙂 – but yes, agreed, plenty of people do seem to think it is…
- JohnPolgreen: RT @chrispotts An inventory of components is valuable, but is it architecture? #entarch << such a list is but one of 60 artifacts in #TOGAF.
- DavidGurteen: Capitalism 3.0: An Institutional Revolution In the Making http://bit.ly/drWhJI <long (80min) lecture by Otto Scharmer, one of the principals of ‘TheoryU’, ‘Presencing’ etc
- bartleeten: The over-reaction architecture governance anti-pattern http://j.mp/aXlUL9 #entarch
- greblhad: RT @ RosabethKanter 15 steps for successful strategic alliances (and marriages) http://bit.ly/bBSIsW << I say Yes! <yup – a very nice (and useful) checklist for #bizarch etc
- kvistgaard: WHAT from the perspective of WHY looks almost like HOW from the perspective of WHAT. <important in #entarch etc
- rubber_duck6072: the REAL MEASURE of customer service is whether a website allows you to post a complaint – if they dont LISTEN why should we?! // REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE means engaging your customer in a conversation – if you can’t listen how can you help?
- AussiMike: A Rough Primer on Enterprise Architecture http://ff.im/-n9cXr <useful summary from Microsoft’s Nick Malik – though note fairly intense discussion in the comments…
A few responses to my ‘Enterprise Canvas’ concept:
- tetradian: [post] The Quest for the Enterprise Canvas http://bit.ly/aAgzMP #entarch #bizarch
- chrisdpotts: @tetradian The best canvas for creative self-expression is a blank one…. #entarch
- JohnPolgreen: RT @chrisdpotts @tetradian The best canvas for creative self-expression is a blank one…. << is this ever true for #entarch? I think not.
- tetradian: [post] The Enterprise Canvas, Part 1: Context and Value http://bit.ly/dopjwl #entarch #bizarch
- tetradian: [post] ‘The Enterprise Canvas, Part 2: Market and Supply-Chain’ http://bit.ly/aMd2RQ #entarch #bizarch
Narrative knowledge, knowledge-management and in-person collaborarion:
- unorder: New post on Origins: Your Voice in Story http://is.gd/d5Zfd #fb #ln #yam #storytelling <the literal voice in narrative – recommend
- CreatvEmergence: The words “…or not” at the end of everything we hold as true at any given moment opens space for new yes-ands to emerge // Like it! RT @Eclectopedic: @CreatvEmergence Always love in Tom Stoppard plays – beautifully put idea or argument – and then ‘or not’.
- CoCreatr: @CreatvEmergence and so do “what if” or “why not” at the beginning of a statement. // 🙂 More about yesbut and whynot http://www2.gol.com/users/bn/html/whynottr.htm
- oscarberg: For whatever I do I try to find Purpose, Passion, and Perseverance <nice… good point…
- SAlhir: RT @zenext RT @greenskeptic A Yu’pik elder explained that consensus needn’t mean mutual agreement, but rather mutual understanding <another very good point…
- oscarberg: RT @dsearls: “The best way to destroy a relationship is to try to manage what the other person does.” Allan Mitchell in http://bit.ly/bxdl5y #VRM #CRM
- CreatvEmergence: Expand the capacity to hold ambiguity -> expand your capacity to create
- Eclectopedic: via @dangrsmind Virtues of a Wandering Mind – http://nyti.ms/bM7PZe /At last, some counterpoint to the constant drumbeat of focus, focus!
- joyce_hostyn: RT @hermione1: #cxp10 there isn’t often a rational reason why someone takes action. You need emotional connections to drive breakthrough experiences
- greblhad: Excellent blueprint for a creative workplace http://bit.ly/cQteW2 <looks good, tho’ download requires Flickr account… #entarch
- CreatvEmergence: List of HBR articles related to creativity: http://hbr.org/search/creativity
- ancillaryIPs: Creative Vision: By Gavin Artz – July 5th 2010 Originally published in Filter Magazine http… http://goo.gl/fb/UwpHe
- CreatvEmergence: Big diff. between safety & stability in facilitating co-creative process. Former opens the field, latter shuts it down.
- getstoried: All that stands between vision and reality is people embracing the story as their own. #storytelling #strategy <…and likewise for implementation / execution of #entarch #bizarch etc
- oscarberg: Blogged: Why changing 1.0 behaviors is harder than we might think http://bit.ly/99DzFJ #AIIM #e20 <core reason is ‘exhaustion of self-control’ – see ‘Switch’ by Chip & Dan Heath
Social media, ‘enterprise 2.0’ and on-line collaboration:
- tebbo: RT @tomforemski: RT @steverubel: You don’t need a social media strategy – You need a brand strategy that leverages social media http://j.mp/97BBWg
- jdevoo: #junto overview by @venessamiemis http://is.gd/d97uF /via @openworld <important for future #entarch – also #e20 folks take note?
- CreatvEmergence: Mapping the field of Collective Wisdom – http://bit.ly/9ukOCA – via RT @VenessaMiemis @wwjimd @technoshaman
- BillIves: Top ten ways social media is teaching us to be human again http://bit.ly/aKMunR <great examples from Nike and VW ‘Fun Theory’
- greblhad: RT @fdomon Social learning theory http://dlvr.it/2CZC3 < interesting <unstructured sequence of notes, but interesting and useful nonetheless
IT-architectures, information-systems and other IT-related matters:
- trevorsnaith: ‘Street-smart’ enterprise architects: EA still too fixated on technology, vs business | ZDNet http://bit.ly/cK0b3y <yes!!
- basvg: @greblhad one of the things you should put in a TOGAF training: when to use it, and when _not_ to use it. #entarch
Culture, society, corporate social responsibility and suchlike:
- florian__: Sadness in the information area: getting together for a good time and still hooked on phones http://twitpic.com/209p7d <picture says it all, really… 🙂
- CreatvEmergence: Rachel Armstrong on the Collaboration of Science and Art – http://bit.ly/dljY99 <shifts in creativity in science itself
- CreatvEmergence: “Innovations for a free, resilient, and generous world” – http://www.openworld.com – via @openworld
- Eclectopedic: Cosma Rohilla Shalizi shld be must-read for economists. Case in point: article on Homo Reciprocans: http://bit.ly/aoPwD9
- alphalo: comment made in our gift circle workshop RT @whathelenesaid Capitalism looks at objects, gift economy looks at people and needs. <would have said that capitalism looks at people as objects…
- SAlhir: RT @mitchjoel: RT @SirKenRobinson: The gap widens between education and the world we’re creating: http://tinyurl.com/25hct65 <NY Times article on US employment requiring higher-skilled workers (but no means to create those higher skills…)
- via tebbo: Andy Grove (Intel): How to make an American job before it’s too late http://bit.ly/ckIHlP <v.important #entarch #bizarch #csr
- SAlhir: RT @RosabethKanter Scarcity feeds resentment. Powerlessness, especially in the middle, corrupts organizations http://bit.ly/bweMql <some useful crosslinks here with my work on the SEMPER diagnostic and on the ‘manifesto on power and response-ability’
- Eclectopedic: RT @KenMcCarthy How the Dutch handle oil spills. We need to get a grip & grow up http://bit.ly/bsBEBK /A tragedy of errors <…arising from an odd mixture of national arrogance and the ‘need’ to find some ‘Other’ to blame? – very worthwhile read on #entarch disaster-recovery planning, #csr and the necessary and active role of the state
And, of course, the magnanimous miscellany:
- tebbo: Media Skills 101 (reprise). http://bit.ly/9N7wp2 Written 5 years ago for ‘handling the press’ but most of the principles still hold.
- davidriveroll: 50 Powerful Time-Savers For Web Designers – Smashing Magazine http://bit.ly/91dA7n A webdesigner’s dream come true! <v.useful for those of us who do rough-prototypes of possible software projects
- davidriveroll: RT @wpmuorg: WPMU News: 10 of the Best Tutorials to Get You Up to Speed With WordPress 3.0 http://bit.ly/a6HbXI
- CreatvEmergence: RT @livingarchitect – Next Nature: Self Repairing Architecture – http://bit.ly/bLtgEX <article by Rachel Armstrong on science behind possible mechanism for stabilising Venice structure/infrastructure
Leave a Reply